Tuesday, July 31, 2012

My first time taking pictures outside! Dolly Dream Wig

So technically this is a wig review, but the title still holds true! I hardly ever go outside, but Oppa and I made a *special* trip to a nearby school JUST to take photos for this review! I even stood in direct sunlight, risking my mole-prone skin... Hahaha~ I must say though, my camera responds infinitely better to natural lighting~! ^.^


Anyways, back to the topic! One of my online friendsies Melanie has opened up her own little webshop called Dolly Dream. This wig is listed as “Light Brown Thick and Wavy Ulzzang Wig,” and it’s only $10!

I’ll show you the photos now, but use them as a reference for what comes after! I’ve categorized them by lighting, since you’ll find that the wig color varies slightly. FYI: These photos were taken between 5 and 6pm, during that transition interval between afternoon and sunset. I didn’t style the wig at all; this is how it looks straight out of the bag:







unflattering angle >o<












































[Length: ~67cm]

Now that we've seen the wig, a few points to discuss!



For the most part, the colors in the pictures are true to life: cool, dark brown in the shade, warm, honey-brown in soft sunlight. Note that in strong direct sunlight, it becomes incredibly bright and shiny! (In other words, quite fake...but only in direct sunlight!)



Just see for yourself! Can you tell that there is a lot of hair? There's quite a bit of volume from the ears down, but not so much ontop of the head, since it’s all weighed down.




The fibers are very thin, and a little dry towards the ends. Because of this, it tends to knot if I fumble with the wig. Check out picture #5. It was breezy outside, so I had to keep readjusting the wig, which led to that knotty mess you see in the center. It's not that bad though. In the last picture you can see how mild the tangles are, and that was actually taken after all the other pictures! It's also possible to brush it out, so long you're I'm careful! In fact, I think essence would be sufficient to fix this~



I mentioned that it looks fake in direct sunlight, but for less sunny activities, it's best to look at Picture #6, the back view. I think for a wig, it’s pretty realistic. There are plenty of thready-looking cosplay wigs that are far below this one. That being said, girls like us who are used to seeing wigs, can probably tell it's a wig. That’s because the fibers are unrealistically thin, smooth, and densely packed. But even expensive Gabalmania/Pinkage wigs are like that too.




I would totally wear this outside, so long as it’s not uber sunny or windy! Really, I think all it needs is a bit of essence and trimming! (Well I’ve never actually used essence before, so perhaps it may need more than just “a bit”…) All in all I think it's a very nice wig: really pretty color, beautiful soft curls, and the quality is great for only 10 bucks! Seriously, 10 bucks!!

Many thanks to Melanie and Dolly Dream for this lovely wig~! I can't wait to get essence for it!


Has anyone used wig essence before? What's it like?!

No comments:

Post a Comment