Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Let's Learn Some Hangul!

Thanks to Amazon Prime, the Korean textbook I ordered on Saturday night arrived speedy-quick on Monday evening! Oh my, how I love new books, hard covers especially. They make the most wonderful *teukk teukk* sound when you knock on them, have you noticed? I also like smelling the fresh pages, I have to admit. It's not a fetish! It's just the smell of knowledge!  (Or of dead trees, I guess.) Some books smell bad though, as I've learned....

At the time that I was ordering, I was deciding between two highly-recommended texts. Essentially, one was fluffy, while the other was hardcore. I thought to myself, “I'm smart! I can handle it!” So hardcore it was.

But upon further inspection, they sure weren't kidding...This book really is intense! No pictures, just grey text from cover to cover. (It reminds me of my old Nuclear Chemistry textbook. ) What really frightens me is that there is no romanization in here whatsoever. My pronunciation is doomed! 

Soooo, why am I learning Korean?
Now, I had tried learning Korean a few months ago, but I didn't stick with it. This time it's going to be different, thanks to this man here:


Let me introduce to you Yoo Jae Suk, South Korea's most beloved MC. He hosts several TV shows which are popular among practically everyone in Korea (or so I'm told?).

Oppa is a fan, to say the least.

Almost every day Oppa turns on the TV to watch his show, and he sits there bright-eyed, smiling, listening attentively to every word coming out of MC Yoo’s mouth. On the other hand, when I'm talking, Oppa doesn't even look at me, let alone smile or laugh!


In other words, Oppa pays a lot more attention to this middle-aged, married ajusshi than he does me, and I feel threatened! BUT if I understand Korean, that will allow me to understand what MC Yoo is saying. Perhaps learning MC Yoo's enchanting way with words is the key to winning back Oppa's attention! The game is on!

I shall not lose to an ajusshi in a turtle outfit!

And that's why I'm learning Korean. Well, 10% of it. It's actually because I want to be able to watch the TV shows too!!!  But in all seriousness, it's mainly because I feel like an outsider to Korean culture (maybe cause I am one). But for me, it gets to a point where merely observing  and being acquainted with a foreign culture is not enough. I want to understand it, and for it to be a part of me (maybe because I foresee a future with my Oppa~). And of course, conquering the language barrier is Step 1!

So let's learn some Hangul!


Oh and BTW, did you notice my shirtzie?
I’m stripping! XD

How 'bout y'all? Any languages you're trying to learn?

No comments:

Post a Comment