Saturday, May 11, 2013

Snippets of Everyday Life, Episode 1: Food, Food Court, Lotte Cinema, Cafes

I’m starting a new series on my bloggie! I shall call it…Snippets of Everyday Life!

When it comes to going abroad, I’m the type that is most interested in the everyday lives of the locals. Foreigner hangouts? Blech! I want to go wherever the locals go, do whatever they do, and chill however they chill! And for that, I like documenting the everyday sights that I see: stores, streets, people…just little things that convey what it’s like to walk around or live in another country!

If anything, you can think of this as an Instagram post, except in High Definition! (I don't like taking blurry iPhone pictures T.T) But do forgive me; my photos of Asia are not dreamily artistic like the ones on Tumblr… >.<


This particular episode contains pictures from almost a month ago >.< But I have more coming!


Chungdam:
Chungdam is an area in Gangnam. I was walking around and amazed at how wide and open the street felt!


Look how broad the sidewalk is and how uncramped the buildings are. Normally you’ve got tons of little stores stacked onto of each other and signs reaching out towards the street. The stores here were mostly “designer”(?) stores, with wide open spaces and hardly any merchandise, if you know what I mean…?

If you’re also like me, you’d be interested in what that pretty girl is wearing! ;P Well, here’s a picture! Is that rude of me? >.< (This is actually a cropped/zoomed version of a previous picture I took of the street, so I didn't deliberately point my camera at her!)



Mr. Pizza:

Mr. Pizza is a chain in Korea for…well, pizza! I went there for the first time a few weeks ago and ordered shrimp pizza.


Sadly, it wasn’t that good…Not because of the shrimp toppings, but simply the overall execution (of the crust, the cheese, etc..). I could just be biased though since I like saucy pizzas~! But this was not saucy at all ㅠ.ㅠ


Lotte Department Store Food Court:

We went at at the Lotte Department food court located inside Starcity. Starcity is a…building(?) located at Kunkuk University station with luxury apartments, Lotte Department store, gym, restaurants, stores, and other stuffz, all in one.





Supposedly the bread here is yummy? I didn't try~


We ate pasta and pizza from a place that uses a fire oven to cook the pizza!







It was not delicious, though… :( So far I haven’t quite liked any of the Italian food I’ve tried here >.< I’m too used to the American interpretation of Italian food! Oily and not-saucy pizza is not good for my American tummy :(


Lotte Cinema:

We watched Oblivion here! Here’s the lobby of Lotte Cinema~





By standing on the footprint decals, the screen will automatically flips from the movie poster to show you movie information! So cool~!!



Even their bathroom stalls were so extravagant…



I like how across from the sinks they have a large counter with plentiful mirror space. That way, you can fix yourself up without blocking the way to the sink~



The men’s bathroom also had big murals, teehee~



At another Lotte Cinema (different location than the one above), there was a random soccer field in the back! Right next to the soccer field was this angel wing mural. I love these!



Cafes:
This is Starbucks! Nothing special, haha~





I like Starbucks’ strawberry banana smoothie!



We even got to choose our own bananas to put in our smoothie~! ^_^


Naturally, I picked the brownest and spottiest one (inside joke to anyone who knows my taste in bananas~)! :3 From what I understand, this smoothie is only available in Seoul locations? We tried to get some in central Korea but it no work.


I was pooped, so we stopped by Angel-in-Us café for a caffeine boost!




Night Street View:

And here is a view of the street crossing near Kunkuk metro station! Look how cramped all the stores and signs are, all stacked on top of each other? I find all of it so visually stimulating *_*





That's it for Episode 1 of Snippets! I'll see you soon for Episode 2~ ^^ (I hope to post these in between my review posts.)

Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment